About Funding Drive
Over the last 35+ years, CJSW has become a respected part of Calgary’s media landscape and a pillar of the local community, sharing music, spoken word and multicultural programs in more than 10 languages, and covering stories and music you won’t find anywhere else.
Throughout the pandemic and civil rights movements of the past year, CJSW has remained a beacon of hope in these unprecedented times. We aim to provide our listeners with an escape from the real world and invite them to immerse themselves in local music, local stories, and local radio.
In times of loneliness and general isolation, CJSW can be the voice of a friend. We are here for you. Here to bring you music you love, stories you love, radio you love.
The 2020 Funding Drive drive runs from 9:00 am on Friday, October 23 until 6:00 pm on Friday, October 30. Listeners can call (403) 220-5000 during the week of Funding Drive or visit www.cjsw.com to make a donation. Our goal is to raise $200,000, which goes directly back into the station to make great radio.
The CJSW Funding Drive is our most important fundraising event of the year. The money raised is directly responsible for the quality and consistency of service we are able to provide to our listeners and community throughout the year.
CJSW’s Funding Drive is the most successful radio fundraising event of its kind in Canada, consistently raising close to $250,000 annually. We’re very fortunate to consistently raise the amount of money we need to keep our station running smoothly.
This strong support from listeners in Calgary and around the world has been a main contributor to the station’s success and a testament to our listeners, who love who we are and what we do and show it through perennial financial support.
All of the funds raised during Funding Drive go directly back into the station to make great radio. This includes new station equipment & upgrades to existing station equipment, content licensing, broadcast transmission costs, website maintenance, general operations, funding capital projects, and building additional resources for the community.. Here are a few examples of some of the projects CJSW has been able to complete over the years thanks to Funding Drive and the support of our listeners:
- 2010 - Moved into a brand new, state of the art station space on the 3rd floor of the MacHall.
- 2012 - Wattage increased from 4,000 to 18,000 watts, reaching the far corners of Southern Alberta on the FM dial.
- 2013 - Launch of the new cjsw.com website, launching the ability to stream CJSW live online.
- 2014 - All CJSW programs available through podcasts, giving listeners the ability to subscribe to their favourite programs for the latest episodes.
- 2015 - Listeners can text directly to the on-air booth, to request their favourite local bands.
- 2016 - Launched a partnership with the Beltline Neighbourhood Association at the historic McHugh House, our venue for all-ages concerts.
- 2017 - Invested in the equipment for live broadcasts, giving us the ability to do live, remote shows at businesses and events across Calgary.
- 2018 - A new backup transmitter that serves as our life boat, in the event that our main broadcast tower is down for maintenance.